Sunday, November 9, 2014

Imagine a Frog

Did you imagine a frog? When I look at ' frog ' I imagine a picture of a frog but when I look at ' P4ÆØ ' no previously programmed or knee-jerk response occurs in my mind. Redefine the symulus 'ÆØ ' to mean dog, ' ? ' to mean friend, and ' # ' to mean haired. The following sentences use each word's new representation.


I took my ÆØ for a walk this morning.
I ran into a ? and she has two ÆØ's.
Molly is a shaggy # ÆØ but Tank is a short # ÆØ.

If the symulus normally used to write English are replaced as they are above, then the average reader will experience a delayed symulus-to-symbolate response when compared to the normally used collection of symulus. Also, as the diversity and number of replacements increase, a delayed symulus-to-symbolate response will also increase. Do you agree?

Foreign symulus are easier to see as independent entities existing in and of themselves or in other words symbola. While familiar symulus are easier to think of as their corresponding symbolate. Regardless, the mind must travel from symulus to symbola to symbolate. Any multilingual speaker can attest to the truth of these assertions.

No comments:

Post a Comment